Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake with Shawn Reilly Simmons
When Shawn Reilly Simmons told me she had a “to die for” recipe for Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake, I just had to have it!! Thank you Shawn for sharing! See her post and recipe below.
I love a good pumpkin pie or pumpkin cheesecake on Thanksgiving, but if you’re like me by the time Christmas arrives I’m a little pumpkin-ed out. I like to make something different for Christmas dessert (or afternoon tea, depending on the year), so it’s not just a repeat of Thanksgiving. Since I’m a die hard chocolate lover, and nothing says Christmas more than peppermint, this minty chocolate cheesecake is the perfect ending to a festive meal.
Here’s my recipe for Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake
- 30 chocolate wafer cookies
- 1/4 cup butter melted and cooled
- 2 TBS sugar
- pinch of salt
**If you’re crazed over the holidays (who isn’t?) it’s perfectly fine to buy a ready-made chocolate crust.
- 4 (8oz) packages cream cheese (softened to room temp)
- 1 1/3 C powdered sugar
- 3 TBS cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- 3 TSP peppermint extract
- 10 oz semi-sweet chocolate (melted over a double boiler and cooled)
**If you’re pressed for time, you can microwave your chocolate on low, just watch it doesn’t scorch.
- 3/4 C heavy cream
- 1 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 C peppermint chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place cookies in a blender or food processor, pulse until fine crumbs. Mix with butter.
- Press into 9 inch spring form pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- In a mixer cream together cream cheese, powdered sugar and cocoa powder until well blended. Mix in the eggs, one at a time. Blend in peppermint extract and melted chocolate.
- Pour into your crust. Bake for one hour.
- Let cool completely. Run a knife around the edges to remove the sides of the pan.
- Melt heavy cream and chocolate chips in a double boiler, stirring until smooth. Poor over top of cheesecake.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least four hours. Garnish with whipped cream and crushed candy canes. Enjoy!
Shawn Reilly Simmons is the author of The Red Carpet Catering Mysteries featuring Penelope Sutherland, an on-set movie caterer, and of several short stories appearing in various anthologies. Cooking behind the scenes on movie sets perfectly combined two of her great loves, movies and food, and provides the inspiration for her series published by Henery Press. For more info on Shawn connect with her at www.shawnreillysimmons.com, on Twitter @ShawnRSimmons and on FB @RedCarpetCateringMysteries